From:
Lana Newhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 07:54:35 -0500
At Conner Priarie it is the responsibility of the curators to determine what is to be deaccessioned based on criteria outlined within the collections policy (i.e. it's in terrible condition, it has no history significant or interpretive use for our mission, it falls outside of our collecting period, etc.)

I, the registrar, then works with the curator to generate the paperwork.  I shuffle it through to all the people who have to sign off on it, including  myself (verifying ownership), the curator recommending deaccession, the chief curator, the assoc. director for historic resources, the division director and finally the president of the institution.  If the object is valued at over a certain dollar amount it must go to the trustees as well.  I then place the signed deaccession paperwork into the document file.  I also am responsible for getting rid of it.  If I can't find an institution to accept it, I send it to public auction.

Lana Newhart-Kellen
Registrar
Collections Department
Conner Prairie Museum
13400 Allisonville Road
Fishers  IN  46038
317-776-6000
317-776-6014 fax

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/07/03 04:27PM >>>
Dear List:

We are in the process of rewriting our Deaccessions Policy, and I would like
some input from the larger museum community.  Who is primarily responsible for
the oversight of the deaccession process?  Is it the Curator who identifies the
need to deaccession an object(s), or is the Registrar who handles the updating
of all records to reflect the new status of the object?
Second, whose responsibility is it to locate/negotiate transfer or trade to
other institutions, sale or destruction of the object?

Thank you,
Carrie Snow
Registrar
Museum of Church History and Art
Salt Lake City, Utah

This message may contain confidential information, and is intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed.