From:
Dave Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:48:44 -0500
Amanda, you bring up an interesting topic. I too have wondered if other
museums are using the auction sites and what they think about it.  Our
museum collects local history and I have made several purchases for the
museum using ebay.  It seems to be a good source for the small stuff,
ephemera, maps, photos, books, etc. and I am sure we have acquired some
things we otherwise would never get. Like others I too consider it an
extension of resources similar to antique/rare book shops, estate sales,
etc. and also have had the experience of a seller donating items once
he/she knew I represented the local history museum.  For all its merit
though, I still wonder about it.  Certainly it is buyer beware! and a
certain amount of risk must be accepted.  And surely there are ethical
considerations.  In an online auction it is often difficult if not
impossible to determine where something originates from, if it is stolen
property, part of a pot hunters trove, or what. Does the seller really
have the right to transfer title to the museum?  How far can we who are
in charge of acquisitions go in assuming the risk of supporting an
illicit market?  By nature I am a trusting person and hope always will
be, but should I extend that nature to my institution? Does anyone have
written policies regarding this issue? Just wondering and curious to
hear others thoughts.
Cheers,
Dave Morgan
Curator of Collections