From:
Heidi Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 13:02:07 PST
I'm afraid that I can't hold out any longer.  I must reply.
First.  A person with 10 years experience and no Master's degree is
certainly as qualified as an individual with a Master's degree and
little experience.  This is why individuals without the degree but with
the experience should not turn away from applying for a job they can do.
However, that individual must express in his or her cover letter and
resume how experienced and prepared for the job he or she is and mention
little the lack of lamb's skin.  Don't mention that you don't have the
parchment to back you up, but expound upon your vast experiences that
would certainly benefit the employer.
If you don't have the degree or you don't have the X number of years
experience that the employer is asking for, don't shy away from applying
for your dream job.  It's only a stamp.  Just make sure you write
something in your cover letter that will make that employer want to read
on, and want to pour over your resume, and want to interview you.

As for learning something being equal to experience.  No amount of book
learning can take the place of Good 'Ole Hands On experience.
Experience is the best teacher.  And that comes from someone with a
Master's Degree.

Thanks for letting me put in my 2 cents.

Heidi L. Anderson Carroll