From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:58:14 -0600
Howdy list,

Glad to see another lively discussion inspiring us all. Is anyone planning
an exhibition that involves this topic?

I really do not think this has much to do with the First Amendment or the
whittling away of anyone's rights. All(including us) are being allowed to
freely discuss the topic and express their views without censor.
Disagreeing with someone is not treading upon their rights. The original
question was whether Mr. Sternberg has done something wrong in publishing
his article and bypassing the normal review process, or something
inappropriate in using his position at the Smithsonian as a springboard for
his beliefs, not whether his information was correct or philosophically
valid. I believe he has the right to express whatever opinion he chooses.
The appropriateness of his statements as an employee of the Smithsonian is
another matter entirely, and one which I will leave to the list and the
Smithsonian.

The article Amy cites on this topic is excellent.
http://www.csicop.org/doubtandabout/deja-vu/

Keeping in mind that our freedom of religion is granted to us through a
liberal reading of the First Amendment and some of Thomas Jefferson's
writings on it; the same Amendment from which our right to free speech also
comes. Saying what you want, where you want is always your right, except
where it involves the US government or its various public entitites, which
can not be involved in such statements and activities. As Elizabeth points
out, we also have the freedom to ignore those we do not want to listen to.
Separation of church and state would also likely inspire a flurry of
philosohpical activity on the list.

The message of Sternberg's article seems to be the topic in question here,
and forgive me if I reiterate things others have already voiced without
credit. Ever since its proposal and especially since the briefly-mentioned
Scopes trial, there has been a consistent effort to undermine the notion of
evolution, to work around it, or to simply bypass it. It remains one of the
single biggest thorns in the side of the Christian right. The failed
efforts to disprove or dismiss evolution have reluctantly moved more and
more toward the hated science in order to try and find that one stance that
will hold. "Intelligent Design" is simply the newest incarnation of that
attempt. ID has been brewing for quite a while, and only recently in my
understanding, has it been proposed as a scientific approach. It is neither
rational nor science, much less both. It is simply creationism in a new
package, albeit a shiny, seductive, and deceptively simple package.

Clearly, I do not subscribe to ID, but I certainly agree with a person's
right to discuss/propose/believe such things. Part of the problem seems to
be historically that both sides of the argument do not seem to be able to
acknowledge the validity of the other's point of view. Many also seem to
fail to understand that science and religion/philosophy are mutually
exclusive, and that attempts to merge them or prove/disprove elements of
them with elements of the other are ultimately self defeating. You can not
prove that the Bible is literal truth using science any more than you can
disprove scientific understanding by believing it away. Not all scientists
are without faith, and not all of the faithful misunderstand/revile
science. Perhaps part of the fear, is the knowledge that science
progresses, and can prove theories(both right and wrong) in the end,
including evolution, whereas faith always simply remains faith. In my mind,
this should not be an adversarial dichotomy, but many still seem to feel
the need to fight science when it does not agree with their beliefs, when
all they really need to do is move along with thier lives.

You can, of course, suppress one or the other point of view, but I would
not advocate that either. I would suggest we all Google the topic, read
what the ID people have to say(as well as the evolutionists, if you do not
already understand that point of view), and make up our own minds.

As an aside, are people aware that there are also movements out there
seeking to revive the concept of a geocentric universe? They are tied
closely to the strident belief that man has never(and presumably never
will) landed anything on any other planet in our solar system, much less
men on the moon.

Have a great Monday.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
Wichita State University
(316)978-5850

             Annmarie Zan
             Sent by: Museum           [log in to unmask]
             discussion list                                            cc
             SE.LSOFT.COM>                                         Subject
                                       Re: Smithsonian in an uproar etc

             01/31/2005 09:08
             AM

             Please respond to
             Museum discussion
                   list
               SE.LSOFT.COM>

I think you have a very strong and very valid point. Unfortunately however
I think it will be pretty much ignored. Members of any of the mainstream
religions in this country Christian. Jewish, even to some extent Muslim
have had their rights to freedom of religion, free speech and Civil rights
slowly whittled away since the Civil rights era. I would rather live in a
country that everyone can speak and worship (or not worship) where and when
they want then to live in a country where people are so afraid of views
other then their own that they feel the need to take away the legal rights
of those who see and believe differently. "I may not believe in what you
say but I'll defend to my death your right to say it"

Annmarie
Subscriber Information:

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).