From:
Dominique Bouchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2012 01:46:51 -0700
I must say that I'm finding this conversation deeply concerning. Of
course every museum will have different needs and offerings for those
interested in contributing their time, but there's been a general odour
of 'get nothing and like it' wafting off some comments on this topic.

I can only speak for myself, but interns guaranteed a real working
experience and have real responsibilities. Of course there's
photocopying and envelope-stuffing, but it's a team effort and no one is
above admin. Quite frankly only giving interns routine admin is a sure
sign of poor management.

I think that any institution that takes on interns has a serious
responsibility to those individuals - to give them a positive and
accurate experience and to give them actual experience which will help
them not only to progress in their career but also help them to cope
with the responsibilities they will take on when they get a job.

An internship is like any other museum learning programme - it should
have measurable learning outcomes and be evaluated against them. In
practice this should help align everyone's expectations at the outset
and prevent what Claire has described. We perform exit interviews with
all of our interns and get extensive feedback from them about the
programme to make sure that we are delivering on our promises.

I would also argue that the 'experience gaining' bit begins during a
rigorous and realistic application and interview process. Hiring someone
who doesn't meet your expectations is bound to happen at some point, but
if someone isn't an effective employee (paid or unpaid) whomever is
managing them should take a long hard look at themselves and their
management techniques before they apportion blame.

Just my opinion (and certainly not speaking on behalf of any institution)

/rant

Best wishes,
Dominique

--
Dr Dominique Bouchard
Hunt Museum Curator of Education and Outreach

Address: Hunt Museum, Rutland Street, Limerick, Ireland
Tel: +353 (061) 312 833
Email: [log in to unmask]

www.huntmuseum.com

The Hunt Museum’s Gift Shop showcases a wide range of local and international crafts and gifts. Every purchase made supports the museum’s valuable work.

Find us on Facebook, Twitter and Foursquare!