From:
Steve Rooney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 1996 19:30:13 -0800
Thanks to those of you who have replied to query:  if you were to install a
museum-wide LAN, would you go with Windows NT or Windows 3.x on Novell?

Pat Galloway replied off-list that I might also consider staying with UNIX
(we have been running UNIX in our finance department for six years) as a
file and application server and add Windows for the client front-ends.  So
let me now add that option to my query!  Does anyone have experience with that?

John C. and Tim B. both mentioned on-list some pluses of NT, and Eric S.
told me off-list that the Met was considering NT last summer.  Has anyone
read the current 3/26/96 PC Magazine article on departmental servers?  The
sidebar on page 161 says that the throughput of NT is less than half of
NetWare (novell) when you use 100-Mbps Fast Ethernet adaptors (whatever they
are!).  The more standard 10-Mbps adaptors create their own bottleneck and
level out the throughput variance.  Also, earlier issues of PC Magazine
state that NT is not as stable or secure as UNIX for WWW server use and UNIX
is always going to be faster than NT or NetWare for transaction processing.
Comments?

By the way, anyone know what transaction processing is?  Is that what
database apps (including accounting and dev/mem) do?

I promise to drop this techie talk just as soon as I get MCN to accept my
subscribe request.  Anyone else have probs there by the way?  (I am a member
so that's not my prob!)

Steve Rooney
International Center of Photography
New York City