Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 2009 13:58:40 -0500
Hello all,

My name is Sara Fitzgerald, and I am the Education and Public Outreach
Coordinator for the Center for Chemistry of the Universe (CCU), which is an
NSF Center for Chemical Innovation headquartered at the University of
Virginia. We are currently preparing a proposal for submission to the NSF
ISE program, specifically the "Communicating Research to Public Audiences"
solicitation.

To strengthen our proposal, we would like to assess the level of interest
within the museum community for an exhibit such as the one we are proposing.
It will be small (< 500 s.f.) and modular in design to allow for multiple
configurations. The exhibit modules will feature detection techniques used
in chemistry and radio astronomy as well as research findings from the CCU
and the broader astrochemistry community. We also plan to develop associated
pre- and post-visit extended learning materials to enrich the exhibit
experience. Though the modules will likely contain material of interest to
all ages, the conceptual design has focused on a target audience that is
12-15 years of age. Interested parties can contact me for a more detailed
project summary.

We would very much appreciate if you would let us know of your potential
interest in this opportunity or other general comments you may have. As
scientists, we are very quick to admit that museum exhibitions are a new
arena for us, so any and all advice is welcome!

With sincere thanks,

Sara Fitzgerald, Ph.D.
CCU Education and Public Outreach Coordinator

**For those of you interested in learning more about the CCU, please visit:
http://www.virginia.edu/ccu

**Or, become a Facebook fan of the CCU at:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Charlottesville-VA/Center-for-Chemistry-of-the-Universe/101195352161

Center for Chemistry of the Universe
Brooks H. Pate, CCU Director
Department of Chemistry