From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 21:59:21 -0400
The use of photography in this instance is for private use and if the
photos were taken legally (as per the policy of the institution or
collector) and if the photos are not sold or distributed then I see no
apparent violation of the US copyright law.

If visitors are taking photos in galleries and musuems which do not
permit photography then they are possibly violating the copyright
rights of the owner(s) of the object or art work.

If the art work is in the public domain, within public view, then it
can be photographed for personal use but may not be sold or
distributed. Public sculpture, murals,  and architecture come to mind
here, or even the recent "Gates" project by Christo in New York's
Central Park. The same general issue applies to celebrities who walk
down a public street - people who otherwise make millions from the sale
and use of their images.

The cost invovled in developing photos and then scaling up to a
commercial size (such as a 1:1 or a poster) would probably cost that
person much more than a poster that they could buy from the insitution.
A photo is still a photo and in no way could replace an original art
work.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey