From:
Arlyn Danielson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 16:01:38 -0400
Well, what you describe in this reply is just what we are all talking
about. You basically confirmed all my assertions.  You don't have to live
in NYC to know that NYC is an extremely expensive place to live
particularly if one is not independently wealthy or earning a lot of money.
 While NYC is an interesting and stimulating place to live, a $25,000
yearly salary will force an individual to make hard choices about quality
of life and living arrangements.  This same $25,000 will go much farther in
many other cities- perhaps one could even rent a house, or a 2 bedroom
apartment in say Kansas City, or Richmond, VA.  The point here is that this
salary in the non-profit world in New York City is not a lot.  If this
organization is able to pay more for this type of position, then they
should do so, and not be cheap about it.  I am not trashing NYC, I have
enjoyed visiting on several occasions.  It's a great town.  Along with
others, I am trying to raise the issue of museum salaries being too low in
general.