From:
Elizabeth Appleby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 11:20:49 -0400
Dear List-

Our Museum/Library/Archive is about to undergo a multi-million dollar
renovation and one of the things they are wanting to do is to install a dry
pipe (water is not in the pipes until the emergency occurs--supposedly)
fire suppression system in the collection storage areas.  While I
understand the need for it in human-occupied areas (exhibit areas,
offices), the thought of it in our storage facilities--which are supervised
24-hours a day, are built of concrete, have 90 minute fire safe doors and
metal shelving--seems excessive and are more likely to damage the
collections than save them.

My Board has asked me to gather information about:

1) Incidents where a fire suppression system of any kind has misfired and
what was the level of damage?

2) What are new buildings installing and are they installing systems in
collection storage?

3) Any other thoughts regarding fire suppression systems that are currently
in play in the community.

Any information that you can give me would certainly be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Elizabeth Appleby
Curator
San Jacinto Museum of History