From:
"Creel, Wesley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:30:42 -0500
Good Afternoon Kristine,
Sounds like a King Cake baby.  A very small (approx. an inch long) shiny
metal baby "doll" (now made out of plastic) would be baked in the
cake.... and the person finding the small baby in their slice of the
cake would have to throw the next King Cake party.  Needless to say,
some of us guys considered it a "prize" that you didn't want to win.
Growing up in New Orleans in the 1950s and early 1960s King Cake parties
were used very often as teenage mixers/dance where you could meet
members of the opposite sex in a chaperoned home "party" environment.
The parties were thrown on Saturdays during the carnival season (meaning
those Saturdays after the 12th day of Christmas (i.e. The Feast of the
Epiphany, January 6th) through the Saturday before Mardi Gras (and Ash
Wednesday, the beginning of Lent).  Some poor souls got invited to a lot
of King Cake parties and would almost always find babies in their slices
of King Cake.  My mom always told me to never come home with a King Cake
baby.....she didn't like throwing King Cake parties....she was convinced
that it was a racket.....and that who got the baby was a "fix."
I never -- ever -- found a baby in my slice of King Cake.
Thankfully,
Wesley

Wesley S. Creel
Administrator of Programs