From:
Teresa Whitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:40:35 -0400
I would also like to offer my advice to any would-be museum workers out there.  I searched for well over one year before I finally got a job in the field, and that was only after a museum professional for whom I had steadily volunteered for over six months while job searching, recommended me for the position I now hold.   I have to also compliment professionals in the museum field who took time to encourage me in some of the one hundred or so rejection letters I received while job searching.  As my dear ol' dad once said to an older executive after being rejected once again for lack of experience, "One day you are all going to die off, and then there won't BE anyone with experience to take your place if you don't give someone a chance to learn."   My hat is off to all of you out there with willingness to share.  This is what the list is supposed to be, isn't it?  On the other hand, I do not think the posting of resumes to the list is appropriate since the purpose is to discuss museum issues, but the sharing of advice is.  That is just my opinion.   At times some of the squabbles on this list are down right comical, personal, or downright rude.  Sometimes I wonder if this list would cease to exist if we didn't have something about which to whinge.  I know that this list has been a wonderful source for information on the day to day questions that come up in museum work, so for all of you out there, I do say, "thank you."