From:
Michael Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 14:03:18 -0000
I daresay there will be a chorus of horror at the idea of throwing away
original paper records, and that therefore my voice will be just one of
many. However, I do think it is worth saying: "DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!"

In fact that felt so good I'm very tempted to say it again.

I am hoping that the people making this inane suggestion are software
people rather than curatorial people. If they are the former then
perhaps it's understandable, if not exactly forgivable, since software
people in general have very little understanding of what museum
documentation is all about. If it's curatorial people then you're in
deep trouble...

There are plenty of sources of good information on the Web about
collections software and related documentation issues. A search with
Alta Vista for keywords will probably get you a few pages of very useful
hits. You could do worse than trying the UK's Museums Documentation
Association's website at http://www.mda.org.uk/index_r.htm. Another
potentially useful site is Leonard Wills'
http://www.willpower.demon.co.uk/index.htm. These should get you
started.

Mick

PS Liked the typo in the subject line. Interesting idea.

Michael P. Cooper
Registrar, Nottingham Museums & Galleries