From:
Harold Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 07:56:52 -0400
I think the big question is how to interpret static displays in ways which
children will like and from which they will learn. Live interpretation is
the answer, particularly live interpretation done by costumed 3rd person
interpreters who are trained specifically to work with children and who
actually LIKE to work with children (two quite different attributes!).

Over the years that I worked at the Canadian War Museum, I noticed a vast
difference in results obtained by such staff members, as compared to the
uniformed "hosts" (interpreters) normally stationed in the galleries. This
is not to say that the latter did not achieve results, but these were
tangibly inferior to those of the costumed staff, when it came to children.
With adults, as a major evaluation indicated, they were extremely
successful.

The costumed staff were selected and intensively trained by the education
staff, led by Alain Gauthier ([log in to unmask]). Candidates were
required to have a strong background in Canadian history, and an interest in
military history was a "plus". More important was the candidate's
personality and interest in working with children. They were costumed and
given four or five roles from a wide range of personae in Canadian military
history - but ALWAYS junior ranks or the odd NCO and civilian (e.g., Ancien
Regime settler's wife). The only officer persona was that of a nursing
sister. A range of educational materials have been developed to support the
program. WHY the emphasis on the junior ranks? Because children, like
adults, are far more interested in the lives of ordinary people, caught up
in extraordinary events, than in the generals, admirals and other
high-priced help. While the interpreters developed their specific roles,
they were able to interpret a wide range of subject matter throughout the
museum.

It is also worth noting that the costumed staff are targeted primarily at
the grade levels in Canadian schools where Canadian history or Canada's role
in international affairs is taught. Thus, teachers bringing classes can
expect a program tailored specifically to the age and level of their classes
and, indeed, to their precise curricula. This is quite different from many
large museums where there is virtually no targeting of the education
programs to specific curricula and the watchword is "Here are our programs.
Take 'em or leave 'em".

In the 7 or 8 years that Alain's program has been running, its popularity
has increased exponentially, year after year and has, I am convinced, led to
the rapidly changing demographics of the museum, where families with
school-age children are now heavily represented. It has also led to an
increasingly active series of extension programs which do a great deal to
help the museum fulfill its role as a NATIONAL museum.

The "shock" effect of discovering a costumed interpreter in a museum where
none are expected can pay big dividends with both adults and children. After
visiting a floor and a half of static displays, when visitors came on an
exhibit on Canadian Second World War industry, featuring a live costumed
female factory worker, assembling Sten guns, ALL the visitors were attracted
to the spot.

I always wanted to have a wounded Civil War soldier, wearing the uniform of
a bandsman of the 4th Rhode Island Regiment, lying on the floor in a gallery
corresponding to the same time period. Imagine the surprise of the visitors
(especially those from the USA) when he explained that his name was Calixa
Lavallee, he was a musician from Quebec, performing in the USA when the war
broke out and had joined a local regiment and been wounded at Antietam. The
best part of the story is that he returned to Canada and wrote a patriotic
ditty called "O Canada", now our national anthem. He would also explain that
at least 40,000 Canadians served in the Civil War (mainly on the side of the
Union) - something of which very few Canadians and only the very odd
American are aware. What a great story! ...and I'll bet you've got some in
your museum or site just like it.

Harry

"Idler, go to the ant.
 Ponder her ways and grow wise."

               -  Proverbs 6 (Jerusalem Bible translation)

Harry Needham, M.A., CFE, etc.
President
Harry Needham Consulting Services Inc.
Training & consulting services for heritage institutions - and others!
74 Abbeyhill Drive
Kanata, Ontario K2L 1H1
Canada
email: [log in to unmask]