From:
Jill Brush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 08:03:43 -0500
I've been watching this thread with some humor, as I am monitoring the comment book in our newest temporary exhibit: Sinners ans Saints: Vice and Reform in Kansas.

While the topics themselves (prostitution, gambling, smoking, and drinking) might induce some to write offensive comments, I too find that it is young folks writing unrelated, "dirty" remarks in our book.

Generally, I (as the lead curator of the show) check the book every morning before we open and pull out those pages with unrelated, offensive comments.  We are asking people to respond to speficic questions and so I am typing up the relevant comments and keeping them for our files.  I put back the pages that have relevant, thought provoking responses in the hope that others will catch on.

As for those who would say that this is censorship or something, I can only say that I don't see the value in comments like "bunghole" and "cornhoolio" in an comment book!

Good luck!

Jill L. Brush

Jill Brush
Curator
Kansas State Historical Society
6425 SW 6th Avenue
Topeka, Kansas  66615-1099
Phone: 785.272.8681  x 425
Fax: 785.272.8682

>>> "David E. Haberstich" <[log in to unmask]> 08/13/01 10:26PM >>>
In a message dated 01-08-13 10:58:27 EDT, Robert Gowty aka Bernadette Jones