From:
Collections Dude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 16:20:59 -0500
Jennifer Williams wrote:

> I am just inclined to draw the line with people who want to "check on"
> their donation.

Jennifer:
We we have policy, and any 'legitimate purpose' qualifies one for access to the
collections. IMHO It is perfectly legitimate for a donor to 'check on' their donation.

In my position I have a responsibility to provide access to the collection - period. I
cannot discriminate on the grounds of any type of prejudice. If the person is a
habitual pain in the a??, that's one thing. In that case its time for the Director's
diplomatic charm to take control of the situation.

The 'out-of-the-wayness' of an object cannot affect my ability to provide access. Such
an excuse would raise the ire of my Director, and personally, I would be embarrassed.

Please reconsider your constitution, and, like the rest of us, grin and bear it :-)

Jennifer Williams also wrote:
> The museum policy asks for a written request along with
> accession number, date of donation, and description of item and a copy of
> the accession record.

Again, MHO, but this policy seems excessive. I wonder what prompted someone to write
it? Perhaps you can add to such a policy that donor's are not allowed to 'check-on'
their gifts. Think of the implications! :-0

Cheers,
Terry
                        TAG - YOU'RE 'IT'

Terry Vidal
http://www.uni.edu/vidal

                If you can read this YOU'RE close enough!