From:
Tree-Ring Circus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 1994 07:30:09 -0800
        At the University of Alaska Museum, our policy is to not treat
archaeological materials in any way, but to rely on stable storage
conditions for preservation. We have no way of knowing what tests
may be desirable in the future and therefore we would be irresponsible
to compromise future testing by contaminating the materials with
foreign substances.
        Those objects that have important physical characteristics that
may deteriate over time are carefully measured, photographed and
digitized for future comparison. As much data as we can be aware of
is preserved at the time of collection.
        Mike Lewis
        Research Assistant
        University of Alaska Museum