From:
Stacy Klingler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 May 2005 21:56:17 -0500
Your creativity and expertise is invited to help me create wall space
for an art exhibit!

The Putnam County Museum (where I am director and one of only two part
time employees) is mounting a small contemporary artists exhibit this
summer, however I'm not certain that we'll be able to accommodate all
of the two dimensional art that will come in.   We have previously had
historical exhibits with objects in display cases, so we should be able
to handle the 3-d art.  We are located in a single room in a 1950s
school with two available concrete block walls and a wall of windows
(currently covered with shades).

I have two plans for hanging paintings, photographs, etc.

1) I have discussed creating a picture rail with my volunteer carpenter
that can be securely anchored into the concrete block, however I'm not
sure if a grooved rail with rod hangers would be more secure than using
micro filament wrapped around nails along the top of the rail and
attached to the pieces.  I would appreciate suggestions from anyone who
uses a rail now.

2) Build some sort of temporary wall along the window filled wall or
create some sort of free standing wall.  My current favorite plan is to
create a box with hinged corners that could be folded up for storage.
(We have another half a room for our collection, exhibit preparation
and my office.)  However, board members have suggested using old doors
attached to create a free standing zig-zag wall.  While I could see
this as interesting, I'm not sure my artists would appreciate the
"distraction" from their work.  Plus, we'd have to find old doors.  And
finally, I've approached a local carpenter about building storage areas
that would cover some of the windowed wall and provide some additional
wall space, however this is way beyond the budget.

Our budget for this project in small (less than $500, including labor,
supplies, paint and all hanging materials), and while I have handled
and transported art, I have never hung it, except in my own home.  I
will be installing the exhibit in July.

I would appreciate suggestions for either the picture rail idea or the
temporary walls!  Feel free to reply to me directly or to the list.

Stacy Klingler
Director, Putnam County Museum
Greencastle, IN
(765) 653-8419