Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 10:22:58 -0400
Munsell was before my time but I think the rationale for dropping it was
that the colour looked different depending on what type of lighting it was
being viewed under.  I do not think it was embraced by all divisions.  I
think only our ethnology cataloguers used it.

Why not use it now?  Well, for one thing we are trying to make our data as
accessible to people as possible both internally and externally.  Few people
reviewing our WWW Public Access site would know what the coding means.
Also, the use of pictures in the artifact database negates the need for such
accuracy.  And as I said in my earlier post we do have other fields to be
more descriptive.

What happens if someone wants to do an esoteric exhibit on yellow artifacts.
My gosh, the variables I would have to weed through.  If we keep it simple,
then we can get all the yellow items at one shot and review other fields and
photos for further details.

I fully appreciate the need for precision and such colour matching tools are
used by our conservators.

Thanks for your imput.  Nothing is ever simple. is it?!!

Patti Davis-Perkins

Museum-L" (without the quotes).