From:
Roger Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 16:42:30 +1200
Welcome back to GLOBAL MUSEUM, your free webzine and museum compendium read
weekly by 6,000+ readers in more than 107 countries .
***   Best Museum Professionals Site, Museums & the Web 2004   ***

The international headlines (FOR THE FULL STORY VISIT THE WEBZINE at this
address  http://www.globalmuseum.org and click on the NEWS button) in this
week's edition include:

**  Bringing Back the Tiger
The prestigious Australian Museum has vowed to do just that, using DNA from
animals that have been dead for more than a century

**  Museum to offer photos of art to download
The Hermitage Museum plans to offer cell phone users an opportunity to have
reproductions of the museum's masterpieces on their screens

**  Valuable meteorite stays put in NZ
From today it will be on display at Auckland Museum in a new Unseen Worlds
exhibition

**  Nuclear Site's Museum Will Preserve Cold War History
Department of Energy officials and history buffs who want to preserve Cold
War history at Savannah River Site have agreed to spare significant
buildings, documents and artefacts at the nuclear reservation

**  Cook-era image resurfaces
The first known painting of Antarctica has been discovered in London -
hidden for 200 years under a lush New Zealand landscape

**  Mickey up against the wire at Euro Disney
They are not doing so in big enough numbers to turn Euro Disney's fortunes
around, and Disney watchers say the new park, dedicated to the world of
cinema, has been a flop

**  US mogul takes $41m punt on Vermeer
Once believed a forgery, a painting by Vermeer has become the fifth most
expensive painting by one of the old masters

Planning on Travelling? Business or Pleasure?
* GLOBAL MUSEUM TRAVEL - For Business and Pleasure - the  leading provider
of online museum travel, established in 1998.
40,000 in over 8,000 cities worldwide. Discounts up to 65% off. Rooms for
sold-out dates. Group Reservations.
CLICK HERE      http://www4.wave.co.nz/~jollyroger/trav204/index.htm
Airfares, Car Rentals, Accommodation, Destination Guides, Condo's and
Cruises!  Provider is a member of I.A.T.A.

**  Site of  Interest: One for the Train Historians
A trip for steam rail enthusiasts through Argentina and Patagonia -  dating
back to 1912 when this service first began

**  Museum hosts translucent concrete display
It used to be only Superman who could see through concrete walls, but an
exhibit at the National Building Museum shows mere mortals can do it too

**  Historical flute stolen from gospel museum in Rome
An antique flute, once owned by gospel songwriter P.P. Bliss, has been
reported stolen from the P.P. Bliss Gospel Songwriters Museum

**  Volunteers return to dig for history
More than 200 skeletons have been unearthed from an 8th century Saxon
cemetery in the valley of the Heacham River and evidence of an Iron Age
settlement has also been uncovered

**  Historic Turkish baths get a facelift
The finest Turkish baths in Britain, which once prompted two princesses to
race in bath chairs through the streets of Harrogate, reopen this week

**  Battle of Britain letters reveal how ``the Few' fought to survive
When Luftwaffe bombers attacked North Weald airfield on a summer's day at
the height of the Battle of Britain, Peter Brothers was concerned about one
thing - his Bentley

**  Caught - World's Smallest Fish
They must have needed a really small hook, but Australian scientists say
they have caught what they believe is the world's smallest and lightest fish

**  Two Texas Rangers Museums Vie for Funds
In a state as big as Texas, is there room for two Texas Rangers museums?

Publisher's  Notice:   Global Museum will on vacation in the USA until the
start of August
There will be no Global Museum news published over this period while we
'recharge our batteries' !

**  Bootlegger made millions from Beatles "Scrabble Sessions
These tapes, the Holy Grail for all Beatles Scrabble fans, also included
Ringo's highest ever score of eleven for the word "doors" which crossed with
the "r" to also make "red"

**  Museum leak costly problem for county
Water trickling down a building's interior wall is a bad sign, so when Larry
Nix saw water running down the walls of the Brown County Museum, he knew
there was trouble

**  Work of female Inuit artists on display at Pequot Museum
The exhibit "Isumavut," which means "our thoughts," is the work of nine
Inuit women, a world full of multicoloured birds and parka-clad people,
where fish jump gape-mouthed from the water and babies' heads peek from
their mother's hoods

**  New Orleans museum celebrates South's food and drink
If you think of fried chicken and barbecue when you think of Southern food,
you don't know beans

**  This Week's GLOBAL MUSEUM CAPTION CONTEST

**  Ancient Studies - New Technology III

**  2005 Small Museum Association Winter Conference -Call for Papers

**  Integrated Pest Management: Beating the Critter Jitters

All this and more for you at Global Museum - See the latest museum JOBS,
BOOKSHOP, RESOURCES, HOT JOB TIPS, great people posting their RESUMES,
FORUM, Cheap and reliable world TRAVEL, Museum Accredited Courses, Products
& Services, Classical Music store, and a Jazz Emporium.
http://www.globalmuseum.org    First published on the Web in 1998 and going
strong!

What our readers say:

**  Thanks for all the good work!  I read the Global News section each week,
and have my museum studies students do so as well
Web feedback survey

**  Thank you for this service. What did we do before this? I recommend this
site to students as part of their internship training with us
Web feedback survey  USA

**  I love global museum and appreciate the service.  It keeps me, a curator
in a small local museum, in touch with the international museum world
Web feedback survey   Australia