From:
Kersti Krug <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 1995 12:33:54 -0700
I don't recall whether Bob Kelly's name has come up in our search for
writers on "cultural tourism" (or "heritage tourism" as Ken Heard more
accurately defines this wandering-about-for-experience biz), so I'll
offer him up here (with my apologies to Bob for whatever work this may
create for him).

Dr. Robert F. Kelly is a marketing professor at The University of British
Columbia who has written extensively about museum marketing and museum
visitors.  His approach to understanding visitations is an interesting
one.  Kelly divides visitors into two segments:  the "traditional visitors"
who "visit museums because they enjoy _being there_," and what he calls
"the 'new visitor' segment, who visit museums to attain a state of _having
been_ there" (from "The Socio-Symbolic Role of Museums," a paper presented
at the 11th International Congress of Anthropological and Ethnological
Sciences, August 1983).

Since 1983 (and perhaps before...who can remember), he's written several
articles that explore this "state of having been," including:

"Museums as Status Symbols II:  Attaining A State of Having Been,"
_Advances in Nonprofit Marketing_, Vol. 2, 1987, pp. 1-38.

"The Pressures of Tourism on Museums:  A Canadian Myth," paper presented
at the Canadian Museums Association 1988 conference in St. John, New
Brunswick.

"Museums as Status Symbols III:  A Speculative Examination of Motives
Among Those Who Love Being in Museums, Those Who Go To Have Been, and
Those Who Refuse to Go," paper presented at the 1991 Visitor Studies
Conference in Ottawa, Canada (published also in the conference proceedings:
_Visitor Studies:  Theory, Research and Practice_, 1991, by the Center
for Social Design, Jacksonville, Alabama).

Kersti Krug
Museum of Anthropology
The University of British Columbia