From:
Rose Ann Osmanian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 11:26:57 PDT
Amy,

Community service may be a way of gaining physical awareness (thru the
media) and community involvement for your museum. In Americorps, we
contacted local newspapers to "advertise" our event, which helped us recruit
volunteers. Also, local news channels covered the event. We tried to recruit
volunteers mainly from neighborhoods around the service area, through
presentations at high schools & businesses, flyers, phone calls, & word of
mouth.

Murals and general landscaping are easy projects b/c anyone can do it. No
experience necessary. I worked at a small museum that had volunteers catalog
books, and file articles. These kind of activities are low cost. In
Americorps, we made it an objective to have our matierals donated by local
businesses b/c it built partnerships in the community. And, most businesses
were very willing to help us out. You can reward your volunteers w/ tours of
the musuem, free lunch (which also can be donated), games, entertainment,
etc.

You can also do longer term projects, like neighborhood exhibitions. I
remember one museum had a project involving high school students and
professional photographers who did black and white photos of their
neighborhoods.

-Rose Ann