From:
Sharyn Horowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 1997 10:43:09 -0500
I wonder if part of the problem is peer pressure and the need to conform.
Are any of your guides active and enthusiastic? If not, maybe nobody wants
to be the first. Can you figure out which of the guides are the natural
leaders of this group? If you worked with these individuals one-on-one they
could set an example for the other guides.

It's hard to approach strangers and start talking to them. Some visitors
look friendly, but reject the interaction. Others look grumpy yet welcome
it.  Suggest guides start by asking casual, friendly questions (are you
having fun? is this your first time here?). If the visitors want to
continue the conversation, then the guides should work up to questions
about science content (ie can you make the ball go higher? Develop a cheat
sheet of conversation starters for each exhibit). Emphasize that they don't
have to lecture -- most visitors hate that!

After all, you didn't force these kids to work for you. Something drew them
to your facility, and everybody wants to do a good job.

>I'm looking for some good suggestions on the subject of exhibit guide
>motivation.  We are a small hands-on science museum that employs high
>school and college aged people to work on our exhibit floor to interact
>with the public.  Often time, these exhibit guides stand back and
>observe the floor and rarely engage the visitor.  What motivation
>techniques do you use in your musuem?  Do you use incentive plans?
>Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sharyn Horowitz, The Health Museum of Cleveland
8911 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44106
(216) 231-5010
fax 216-231-5129