From:
"Creel, Wesley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2006 12:33:59 -0500
Good Afternoon Chuck,
As you requested.....
Here are my responses to your questions......
Answers:
#1.  	Methods Practicum.
#2.	Basic Accounting Methods. Introduction to Supervision and other
Organizational Management courses.
#3.	A general and overall understanding and appreciation of the
different fields and sub-fields in the museum (or public history)
profession.  For example, let's pick Collections Management....I may not
be a conservator, but I understand the basic principles and appreciate
the time factor (and the financial cost) it may take for a single
artifact to conserved, ...and I also appreciate that an ounce of
preventive measures in conserving the collections on exhibit and in
storage are well worth the staff time, effort, and costs when compared
the "costs" of not taking the appropriate preventive measures.  This
basic understanding helps me when supervising staff collection
management staff, administering overall museum budgets, and setting
institutional priorities.
#4.	We need to understand that museum studies and public history
course offerings should be VOCATIONAL in nature.  The courses that were
the most beneficial to me (when I was a museum studies student back in
the Bronze Age) were the ones that were most realistic and practical;
and offered "hands-on" opportunities to actually: build an exhibit;
register, accession, research, and catalog an artifact (and know the
differences between these activities); develop, deliver, and evaluate an
actual education program for school students; etc...etc....  The ones
that were the most useless were the esoteric ones (graduate seminars
that were more museological rather than museographical), which all to
often are the standard fare of such programs.  Perhaps the problem is
that universities have a "problem" with vocational education?
I hope this helps.....
Wesley
Wesley S. Creel
Administrator of Programs