From:
"Tenuth, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2006 14:04:38 -0500
I agree with Diane.  The volunteer was completely at fault and should be
released from the museum immediately.  I have seen volunteers do things
that made me wonder, but I've never seen anything this improper.  In
essence the volunteer was acting as though his judgments were more
reasoned than the museum's.  In all probability, the volunteer had no
idea what strategies governed the deaccession policy and it wouldn't
have made any difference had he knew.  He decided that he knew better
than the museum he works for.  Collection management policies were
designed to protect collections, museums and staff members.  If this
action is allowed to stand, then collection management policies mean
nothing.

Jeff Tenuth
Indiana State Museum