From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2007 18:25:25 -0800
Hi,

One last observation here.

Groups like BMI and ASCAP are essentially clearning houses for the
collection of licensing fees for music publishers, music companies,
and artists who hold copyright. So live music is perfectly OK as long
as long as it is original and is owned by the artist or in the public
domain. If a musician or band covers other music whose rights are
still active, then yes, fees or a legal waiver is needed for any
public performance. So, if you have a local musician or band who
performs their own stuff, then BMI and ASCAP have no claim at all.

They well may have a waiver process where an institution such as a
small non-profit museum can apply - especially if there is no direct
fee to attend the performance but it is done as a way on enhancing
your visitor experience.

In the past year I spent evenings producing and directing live music
webcasts and the venue's policy was that only original music could be
performed because ot the BMI, ASCAP situation. I also gained artist
permissions (one artist is an Emmy winner, another has gold and
platinum songs) to post video clips of the their songs as well as to
generate a DVD in the future to benefit the small non-profit venue
where it was produced - and none of that had to go through BMI or
ASCAP.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey