From:
Elizabeth Stith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 1998 05:40:47 PST
I am the director of an historic house museum where we depend on the earned income from rentals for a good chunk of our  operating budget.  We are fortunate to have two spaces in wings built onto the house which we can use for events which include food and drink.  The problem there is that in one of those spaces people get very comfortable and forget that they should not carry their drinks whn they wander into the house to listen to music or something - which leads me to my first bit of advice which is that you can never be too vigilant.  The other advice I have for you is to create good event tracking forms.  I have edited and edited so that I can get all of the information I need about an event on one side of one page.  This makes things easy for me and for the part-time person who does set-up and event monitoring.  We require that renters leave the rooms relatively clean - take out any decorations, clean off tables, etc.   They are not required to clean floors.  We do require caterers to take garbage to our dumpster which is just outside the back door.  It amazes me the number who don't want to do this!  Most events are fun and easy but I think that is because we try to give renters and their caterers all the information they need about our requirements upfront.  Good luck!