From:
lucysperlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2014 16:24:43 -0800
Hi Kelsey,
This is what Museum-L is for! Some of us have, indeed, "been there and done
that."  Me? More than once!

First, the great news is that you use PastPerfect. You can keep all of your
collection items linked, no matter which of the collections it is in, by
collection name, accession number and by donor name as well as by using the
"Related" field, where you can make note of related materials in a different
collection category.

You're correct to use one collection name and one accession number (an
accession traditionally being everything received from a single donor in a
single day) with the object number added.  (e.g. 2014-015 accession #;
2014-015-0001 thr 0456 as object numbers) With the donor's name in the
'Accession' list and one accession number everything will be listed when you
look the Accession record. If you have different numbering systems for the
different types of collections, it would be best to have some prefix called
"Accession Number" that's the same for all.

Inevitably, because for a number of reasons you can't store everything
together, when you have mixed collections such as you describe, you do have
to emphasize keeping the Location field in PP up to date. Researchers will
totally understand why things aren't all together, and others will accept
the collection care issues that dictate not storing fragile paper documents
or textiles in with 3 dimensional objects.

Since, as you note, most people coming in are looking by subject or
geographic location, I revised the PP fields for Classification and Search,
using Search for the geographical location and Classification for what is
perhaps more a glorified Subject listing.  (One could also revise the
Subject data field.)  I can make available the framework outline for the
revised Classification or Subject field --it's adaptable to any geographic
location and circumvents the problem that keyword searches are so dependent
on someone having actually entered the word you are searching on.

As for dealing with the backlog, I'd suggest focusing first on doing new
items right, and as volunteers are available revamping the backlog as you
can. In both of my experiences with huge backlogs, it did involve some
re-cataloguing but you can decide to deal with things as they are handled,
and surprisingly it will begin to get done. And, as you do it, you are
continually making things more accessible. I've been working 8 years
part-time (as a retired volunteer) at current location. Not done yet, by any
means, but folks are really thrilled at how much we can find for them when
they come researching something.  When I came there had been no good way to
store paper materials and important items have been found in files where no
one would have thought to look for them, and we have found them by accident.
Now we have an extensive "Numerical Document File" with everything stored by
number in acid-free folders in document boxes. It is SO easy and quick to
retrieve them after looking them up in PP.  [Storing by number means that an
item that covers several subjects is not filed by one and lost to the
others.]

Good luck, you have our support and hooray to you for trying to get your
collection organized and retrievable.

Lucy Sperlin
Butte County Historical Society
Oroville, CA