From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 17:06:15 -0800
--- "David E. Haberstich" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> In a message dated 02-02-18 07:25:46 EST, Deb Fuller wrote:
>
> << Again, if you are late to a doctor's anointment, you can't demand to
>  be seen immediately, you get the time that is available. >>
>
> I think this is true for any kind of doctor appointment, not just for
> anointing. :-)

Oh drat. Foiled by the spell checker again!

> Billing expenses for a missed
> tour, IMHO, should be done only if such a policy is stated up front when the
> tour is booked.

Exactly. Practically every other type of service that takes appointments has a
policy like this in place. I see no reasons why museums should be any different
regardless of if they charge for tours or not.

> Admittedly, this was not a "tour" arranged exclusively for the school, so
> it's not directly comparable to the kinds of tours people have been
> discussing.  Anyway, the school bus arrived at the museum, teachers and kids
> got to the program site on time--but no program.

That's no good either unless there was a good reason for it (speaker canceled,
museum flooded, all Hell breaking loose...). At any rate, the museum should be
at least apologetic and offer some sort of alternative activity lest they get
blacklisted as well.

> Perhaps the school should have billed the museum to recover
> its costs, although that would have required a principal who supports her
> teachers rather than blaming them for everything that goes wrong--but I
> digress, and it's beside the point.

Letters can go both ways. If I were principal or the teacher, I would have
written one to the museum to explain the inconvenience to the teachers and the
disappointment of the children. But if the principal is spineless, letters from
teachers don't have much punch.

I think the point of the whole discussion is that both sides, the scheduler and
the schedulee, have an obligation to arrive on time and prepared for a tour or
program. They also have a responsibility to contact the other party as soon as
plans change or delays occur. Anything less is not only being rude and
inconviencing the other party, but costing them money as well.

Deb