From:
Anna Castillo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 09:35:29 -0600
Jenny,
As always, you first concern is with the safety and security of your
collection so it is important to think of all the possible accidents that
could occur and weigh that against any financial gain.  Look for any other
possible location in the museum, away from the collection that would still
satisfy the "museum" ambiance that potential diners are looking for.  If
you feel secure in the protection of your collection the first place to
check is with your insurance company.  They might have specific
restrictions in your policy.  Next, price out the cost for after hours
security as well staff time to see just how cost effective the event will
be.  Although you are just the "house" for the dinner, you will be
surprised at the amount of time it takes to coordinate with caterers,
florists and party rental suppliers as to the drop off, set up, clean up
and pick up.
We allow food in our main gallery for receptions and have rented it twice
in the last year and a half for private dinners.  To be honest, we have
been lucky on both occasions with nothing going wrong and the hosts giving
large donations after the event.  But I have heard many horror stories so
be very careful.

At 09:04 AM 3/20/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I could really use some help with this one. I am new to the list so if this
>has been discussed before, sorry.
>It has been suggested that we open up a permanent space in our main gallery
>that could be used for an  in the museum dinning experience  for hi-end
>donors and potentially anyone willing to pay the rental fee for the space.
>Has anyone out there done this and would be willing to share your
>experiences with how it went - good and bad. Thanks
>
>Jenny Yearous
>Curator of Collections Management
>State Historical Society of North Dakota
>
>North Dakota Heritage Center phone (701) 328-2666
>612 E. Boulevard Avenue   fax   (701) 328-3710
>Bismarck, ND 58505-0830         [log in to unmask]

Anna M. Castillo
Curator of Education
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
Wichita State University