From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:14:26 -0700
Tying bar code labelling to the dialogue of last week
with respect to labelling of exhibits, it would be
great if you could somehow have the bar code readers
for patrons as they travel through exhibits and get a
more appropriate bit of background (mask the fields
you don't want exposed to the public) about the piece.
 Giving the public a hand held device with typeface
that toggles larger or smaller may be a real plus in
the days to come if/when the technology decreases in
expense.

--- Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> I agree that barcoding is a great tool for inventory
> control and makes a
> lot of sense for tracking large moves and processing
> data.
>
> Perhaps this is the area of barcoding you might
> reexamine. As a former
> registrar, I'm always sensitive to issues of what
> materials are used to
> label artifacts. Certainly this is an area of
> labeling that has received
> much attention for many years. I'd be extremely wary
> of sticking the
> labels directly to any artifact. The adhesive is
> probably propriatary
> (meaning the manufacturer won't tell you what's in
> it) and non-reversable.
> Many of these adhesives bleed over time and most
> (probably all) will stain
> what ever they touch. Many sticky labels become
> quite brittle over time
> and will peel away.

Indigo Nights