From:
Timothy Vitale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 22:12:25 -0800
I know you are trying so save the list from extra mail, but I'd like to
know the responses to your inquire on using digital images for
registration.  I have an interest in the subject.

The issue of using digital images to record before & after treatment
images in conservation will someday be addressed seriously.  Knowing how
registrars see the issue is important to conservators.

I think that digital imaging will some day replace photography in
conservation.  Finding good B&W processing is harder and harder these
days.  I was talking with digital camera manufacturers at Macworld a few
weeks ago.  It was believed that advances in CCD technology will bring
reasonably priced digital cameras capable of scanner quality images to
the public within 12-18 months.  That is, 4000 X 6000 images from a
$1-2000 camera.  Polaroid has a $1500 is producing (approximately) 1500
X 2500 pixel images today.  This is very good, but not quite good enough
for conservation's purposes.

Timothy Vitale
Paper and Photography Conservator
& Preservation Consultant