From:
Laura Hortz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:07:32 -0500
We have run into this issue of copied images at our institution as well.
Many donors don't want to give up their original photo but want us to be
able to use it freely.  Many of the copied images were accessioned in the
past, which in my opinion, shouldn't have been done.

Our registrar has developed a "Copied Image Deed of Gift" which in effect
states that the current owner still holds title to the original photo but
allows us to make use of the copied photo in our exhibits and publications
with the credit line recognizing the donor.  They are then numbered using a
seperate numbering system that we use for copied images.

This appears to be working since most of the photos that we deal with are of
local businesses and people and not major works of art.

Hope this helps,

Laura L. Hortz
Curator of Collections
Siouxland Heritage Museums