From:
Harold Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 16:09:54 -0500
Janice is perfectly correct. It is important to have a written, public
policy on deaccessions that has been subjected to legal opinion, that is
consistent with good museum practice, that your board is comfortable with
AND which it has formally approved. AND it has to be applied consistently.

If anyone wants such a policy, which I wrote a couple of years ago for the
Canadian War Museum, pls contact me off-list, as MUSEUM-L does not support
the passage of attachments, as part of its protection against virii.

Harry

"Thwackum was for doing justice, and leaving mercy to heaven."

               -  Henry Fielding, "Tom Jones", bk.iii, ch. 10

Harry Needham, M.A., CFE, etc.
President
Harry Needham Consulting Services Inc.
Training & consulting services for heritage institutions - and others!
74 Abbeyhill Drive
Kanata, Ontario K2L 1H1
Canada
email: [log in to unmask]