From:
"Ellen B. Cutler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 12:29:17 -0700
Thanks, Ross -- this isn't something I'd have been likely to see if you had
not provided it.

No question I'd love to believe that all this is so (although there is no
question that I think the American population in general distrusts the
media...). What is this "broadest range of Americans?"  What was the
research methodology?  How big was the sample?  What are the results by
demographic breakdown?  How did they find the respondents?  Random calls?
Mailing lists?  US census?  This kind of discussion and analysis seems to me
to be SO much more useful, and potentially fruitful, than expressions of
frustration and blame (although I concede they have their place and I've
done my share of venting in the past.)

In general, as a part of these discussions, I'd also like to get a grip on
what constitutes a "historical" picture when we talk about "historical"
considerations and values.  Post WWII? 20th century?  Since the museum boom
of the Gilded Age?

Ellen Cutler