From:
Holly Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 13:52:33 -0400
Greetings all,

I am currently revamping our museum's Photography Policy and I am seeking
advice and suggestions on any areas that I had not considered or that may
pose any hazards to artwork and visitors. If any of you can send me copies
of your museum's photo policies that would also be a great help to me (I am
grateful for help in any way, shape, or form !).

The policy I am rewriting is for students and other patrons who would like
a photograph for their own personal study and not for
reproduction/publication purposes. We are restricting photography to works
owned by our museum and prohibiting photographs of loaned works. A list of
exhibits with works on loan or works with special restrictions will be
given to our front desk to advise all photographers.

We are probiting the use of tripods and monopods because of the potential
hazard to patrons walking through the galleries. I think that prohibiting
tripods as well as auxillary lighting will also discourage opportunitists
from trying to take photos for reproduction/publication purposes. Those who
desire images for publication will be directed to our
registration/photography department.

We will require all patrons who wish to photograph to read our permit and
sign their name to it as one of the few ways to enforce the policy. Once
the permit is signed the patron will turn in a form of ID to our security
who will then issue a Photo Permit badge for the patron to wear until
he/she retrieves the ID. So far this is our only method of enforcing the
policy. If a patron is found photographing without a badge they will be
escorted to the front desk and requested to read and sign our permit and
receive a badge.

As far as I know we have not had any problems to date with this method or
our policy. Please let me know if you have an easier way of dealing with
photography or if there are other issues I have not addressed. I understand
that flash photography is not a concern as it used to be with the bulb
flashes used in the past but if I am incorrect please let me know.

Thanks for your time and help !
-Holly

Holly C. Chase,  Traveling Exhibitions Coordinator
                           Registration Department

Brigham Young University Museum of Art
Museum website: http://www.byu.edu/moa

North Campus Drive, Provo,Utah 84602-1400 USA
Phone: (801) 378-8248          FAX:  (801) 378-1807
E-mail: [log in to unmask]