From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 22:05:47 -0800
As fate would have it, right after I responded to the
post concerning problems with Julia's post possibly
having a virus, my company's IT department sent out a
very informative email about the current virus
problems.  I thought, perhaps, if I shared it with
you, it might mean less infected files going around
the museum list because more would have a better
understanding of what's currently happening and may
save themselves the sheer misery of eradicating a
virus that could have been avoided.  Delete now if
you're not interested.

The current virii causing a good deal of trouble are
the J and K variations of a virus known as WORM_BAGLE.
 It tries to trick email users into opening infected
attachments using "social-engineering" techniques.

"Social engineering" is the term used to describe
manipulating the natural human tendency to trust for
the purpose of committing fraud, network intrusion,
industrial espionage, identity theft, or disruption to
a system or network.  Viruses like WORM_BAGLE use
false threats and promises, like warning you to
immediately open an attached file to save your account
from deletion, prevent your password from expiring, or
to remove a virus from your system.

The newest viruses wrap themselves in
password-protected zipfiles and come with an official
sounding text message that accompanies the infected
attachment and provides the password for opening it.
The message, which promises relief from some bogus
problem, creates such a false sense of security that
people go to the trouble of unlocking the file to open
the infected attachment.

The message is written to sound like it comes from a
technical suport group.  If the attached .zip file is
opened, the virus infects the target computer and
spreads quickly.  Viruses that travel in
password-protected .zip files can get through e-mail
systems undetected because virus scanners can open
files with passwords.

Because viruses can minic the address of people or
businesses you know, it's never safe to open an
attachment you are not expecting.  Contacting the
sender is the surest way to find out.

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a Job?  Try Got Links?, Your One-Stop Portal
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414