From:
Rob Kruszynski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 16:13:19 GMT
Harry,

'The owl of Minerva sets flight at dusk'

Means that wisdom tends to come with old age.

G.W.F. Hegel.  Probably in his 'Phenomenology of the Spirit' ca 1819
- but I don't have the page number.

Of course he might not have been the first to say that.

Regards,

Robert  Kruszynski

At 08:49 AM 3/18/97 +0000, you wrote:
>I have checked in the Penguin and Oxford dictionaries of quotations and in
>Brewer's, but have not found the reference. The owl is classically associated
>with Minerva and I have seen the quotation used before; the implication is
that
>one sees better in hindsight (at the close of the day) than in the midst of
>events. Please note that the owl is often used in military heraldry to denote
>learning of an allegedly high order; the Canadian Land Forces Command and
Staff

From :  Robert  Kruszynski,         Human  Origins  Group,
The  Natural  History  Museum,   Cromwell  Road,  London  SW7  5BD,  U.K.
Tel.  :   00 44 (0) 171 938  8711   or     00  44  (0)  171  938  9270
E-mail  :   [log in to unmask]            Fax  :   00  44  (0)  171  938  9277