From:
Anna Fariello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 15:31:53 -0500
For Mary or anyone else out there:
        A Century of Contribution: Christiansburg Institute and Educational
Change in Virginia is an exhibition made possible with funds provided by
the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities and Public Policy.  This touring
exhibition is the beginning of an effort to recover the history of a unique
school which provided an education to generations of African Americans over
the course of a century.
        Christiansburg Institute was a unique educational institution with
a remarkable history. Established after the Civil War for freed people of
African decent, over the course of its 100-year existence, change
necessarily affected the school. Its name, size, function, management and
curriculum were among the many changes brought on by growth and adaptation.
Christiansburg Normal School, Christiansburg Normal and Industrial
Institute, Christiansburg Industrial Institute and Christiansburg Institute
were multiple names to describe its varied functions as a teacher education
facility, a private academy, a training school and a regional, public high
school.  Throughout its history, Christiansburg Institute remained an
institution characterized by excellence, recognized by both the State Board
of Education and the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary
Schools. In 1954 the Supreme Court would put an end to state-sanctioned
segregation. After 1966 African American students would attend county high
schools established for their white classmates and would see their campus
put up for sale at public auction and the majority of their school
buildings destroyed.
For booking information, contact:
CURATORIAL INSIGHT
PROVIDING CURATORIAL & MANAGEMENT SERVICES FOR NON-PROFITS & COLLECTORS
Box 505, Christiansburg, Virginia 24068; 540-382-3946; [log in to unmask]
The exhibition is currently on tour within Virginia and will be beginning
its  out of state tour in August.   There is a very modest loan fee.

>From: Mary Sheila McMahon <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Exhibits on Education?
>Date: Wed, Mar 14, 2001, 4:58 PM
>

> I've been asked to curate an exhibit about education for a small,
> community-based history museum in Northern California.  A few years ago, the
> museum did an exhibit about its one-room schoolhouses, so something a bit
> different is required.  I've been doing oral history interviews with former
> teachers and students, and I think that I will be concentrating on the period
> between the end of World War II and the beginning of state involvement in
> local education (roughly 1945-1965).
>
> I am interested in knowing whether anyone has curated an exhibit on education
> and if so, how you have translated a rather "bookish" subject into material
> and visual terms (such as lunch boxes, classroom visuals, film strips,
> desks).  If possible, I'd like to get a flavor of the very transitional
> quality of the period: the degree to which this community was at the same
> time agricultural and very focused on local issues, and yet at the same time
> was having to build new schools every year to accommodate the surge of
> subdivisions (with attendant Baby Boom kids) and was having to deal with more
> and more regulation and supervision from state and even national ideas about
> education.
>
> Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
>
> Mary Sheila McMahon

Anna Fariello, Center for Interdisciplinary Studies
Virginia Tech, Blacksburg VA 24061-0227
Curatorial InSight
Box 505, Christiansburg VA 24068
www.curatorialinsight.com