From:
Kathrine L Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 1995 09:24:10 -0600
Ah, the problem of censorship!  I have been forced to drape paintings and
statues, remove paintings from exhibitions,  avoid specific exhibition
areas, and put works in discrete marked areas.  Could this last be an
option?  I wonder if warnings before the images and teacher guidance
warnings on the site would be acceptable?

Just to try to make you feel better, I have teachers who will not allow
images of Thomas Hart Benton's "Frankie and Johnnie" (MO State Capital
mural and lithograph) in the classroom because of topic.  I sympathize
completely and wish I had a magic answer!  Unfortunately (or
fortunately?) when we serve the public, we often have to compromise to a
point where we feel "outraged"!

Kathrine Walker, Education Coordinator
Beach Art Museum, Kansas State University