From:
"Brennan.Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 17:33:15 -0500
I must agree with those who are troubled by the class issue that arises
with unpaid internships.

Finding paying jobs/internships in museums is competitive, particularly
with so many potential employees/interns with graduate degrees.  As
funding to cultural institutions continues to decrease and the demands
placed on museums as cultural centers increases, fewer paid internships
exist, while the demand for interns is strong.  And, the requirement of
internship experience for entry-level positions prevents those who could
not afford to work for free an opportunity to try museum work.

I am currently working in a federal museum (only after finding a paid
internship) and we depend on the labor of interns to help with our work
load.  Our institution cannot pay more than a paltry $300 for a
semester's internship.  It is something, however, it is not enough for
someone to relocate to Washington for a summer when they need to make
enough money to return to college the next school year.

Many institutions offer flexible internships so that students can work
full-time and intern during free time, and that is a good compromise for
some.     As with many museum issues, a little more funding would help.

Sheila Brennan
The Navy Museum