From:
Robin Le Van <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 14:09:37 -0500
I promised I would not get into the fray on this one, but so much for the
best laid plans of mice and men...

Isn't this why we all go through college? Some of us working full time and
going to school full time, juggling multiple demands, etc? To get where we
know we belong. My undergraduate degree was in the humanities, but my career
has always been in museums. The common thread is a love of story and
context. I began at one of the lowliest positions in a top ten museum (at a
50% pay cut from my in school job), worked my way up rather quickly, moved
to a somewhat smaller institution and then to a director position in a small
museum. My student loan, tiny as it was by comparison to some, was paid off
about five years after my degree was conferred.

The thing to remember is, as Brenda so eloquently stated, that we are in a
field where we are happy. Our work offers the richness of exploration and
discovery, lifelong learning and lively human exchange. This work has been
devalued since inception. The poor pay is not some sort of penance for our
happiness, it is, unfortunately, a hold over from the late nineteenth
century when the multi-generational affluent (or clergy folk) founded and
staffed many of our museums and institutions. They did not need to earn a
living. We do.

Other non-archival/curatorial positions in museums are fairly well paid for
the not for profit sector. Development, marketing, publications, finance,
etc. are often paid competitively for the not for profit world. The argument
must be made to executive directors and boards of directors that without
collections or stories to tell, these other positions, including their own,
lack any basis for existence.

There. It is off my chest.

Happy Monday, all!

Robin