From:
"T. Reed" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 1996 15:20:26 -0600
On Fri, 5 Apr 1996, Indianapolis Art Center wrote:

> The best way to "defend" the practice, as I see it, is to balance it
against what a student would pay if he or she took a course in museum
practice. >
> Thank you, Ivy.  Our past interns have had no trouble getting credit for
> their internships and either substituting them for an elective course or
> using them as a a required practicum. Actually saves them money in some cases.
> Julia Moore
> Indianapolis Art Center

Julia- Aren't you forgetting that in addition to your interns getting
credit for their internship, that they have to pay for those credit
hours?  The average number of college credits for the internship
experience is likely three (a guess)- - roughly five hundred
dollars at a big ten school.  Couple the cost for the academic hours with
expenses associated with moving to Indianapolis for the duration of the
internship, and the your potential field of interns gets smaller and
smaller.   I'm not clear how this would save them money...
        I agree with Jeanne Finan's original observation that the unpaid
internship may account for a lack of diversity in our field, I praise her
for bringing up the topic.

Timothy Reed
Dept. of Anthropolog
University of Iowa