From:
Lisa Elaine Lynde <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2005 08:17:07 -0400
Hello all,

I received this this morning from Patty Gay, Director of the
Preservation Resource Center in New Orleans

******

September 8, 2005
Please distribute:

Patricia Gay, executive director of the Preservation Resource Center of
New Orleans, toured all but four of the 18 National Register Historic
Districts in New Orleans yesterday. Neighborhoods from the Industrial
Canal all the way upriver to Carrollton, and portions of Esplanade
Ridge and Faubourg New Marigny suffered minimal wind damage and almost
no water damage. Out of concern for those who have evacuated to other
cities this encouraging word needs to be circulated, and we must put
plans in place to return citizens to their homes and businesses in
order for the economy of the city to get back into action. Those who
have evacuated need to know that there is hope and that there will be
jobs for those who have left and want to return. People need to know
the status so they can make plans to re-open businesses.

She was unable to tour areas with water, such as Broadmoor,South
Lakeview, portions of Faubourg New Marigny, Esplanade Ridge and Holy
Cross. Very careful evaluation must be
undertaken to salvage the invaluable economic resource left to the
city: its historic architecture and neighborhoods.

Rebuilding the areas that have been underwater for so many days is even
more of a challenge if we do not make plans to take advantage of what
remains to the city.