Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 21:45:27 PST
On Fri, 17 Jan 1997 20:10:31 -0500  [log in to unmask] wrote:
>Greetings to all of the list members and happy new year!  I
have a question
>regarding images on the web.  Currently I am working on a
web page.  I have
>included catalogs of past exhibits which include images that

we have received
>permission to reprint in the catalogs.  However, I was
wondering if I now
>need to get extended permission
before I open up the site to the public.  Has
>anyone on this list experienced problems with reproducing
catalogs or other
>information on the web which included images that required
permission at the
>time of the exhibit?
>
>Thanks in advance for your help.
>
>Warm regards,
>
>Nicole Basso

Yes, you need permission for each specific use.  Publication
and distribution via the Web was probably not included in the

original permission or license for use you obtained. Nor,
undoubtedly, were other uses, such as reproduction on a
T-shirt or calendar. Use on the Web is, in this sense, no
different from use on a T-shirt:  you need to make clear to
the licensor or permission-provider what use you wish to make

of the image, and get that (or those) specific permissions or

licenses.
amalyah keshet
director, visual resources, the israel museum, jerusalem
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
date: 01/20/97
visit our web site at http://www.imj.org.il