From:
"J./B. Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 14:44:05 -0500
Pamela Sezgin wrote:

> To David,
>
> The use of technology is important for blockbuster exhibits that are of a
> historical or ethnographic nature.  You cannot define all museum exhibits in
> terms of just art exhibits.   The use of cutting edge or new technologies adds
> to the cachet as does the expense factor.

Well, I don't know about that.  I believe that blockbusters are
exhibitions designed to bring in the largest possible audience by virtue
of their appeal to the greatest number of people, for whatever reason.
Maybe it's the technology, maybe it's the artist, maybe it's innovative
exhibition design, maybe it's the dazzle factor (witness blockbuster
exhibitions of crown jewels and the like), or maybe it's simply because
of a highly concentrated marketing effort.  But bringing in the folks
seems to be the entire purpose.

However, as many have pointed out blockbusters take much psychic as well
as physical energy on the part of museum staff.  That is why the
organization and management of them is often contracted out.  I believe
that if the entire staff is constantly working on one blockbuster or
another the ordinary functions of the museum are highly compromised.
Museums should be well-prepared before undertaking one.

Julia Moore
Indianapolis Art Center