From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 10:20:48 -0500
Hello Thomas!

This is a great question!

Ultimately, I cannot resist saying: "It is not size that
counts, but how you use it."  <smirk>

Seriously, though.  Some popular museums and
exhibits/exhibitions are small or small-scale, and some are
large or large-scale.  Of course, the larger the museum in
physical size, the more items can be on display.  But if
they are large items in a large space, there may be the same
number as small items in a small space.  And if there are
many uninteresting items in a large space, what good . . . ?

There are too many variables in your question.  What type of
museum do you mean?  After all, a museum dedicated to
Japanese netsuke will not need as much space as, say, a
museum dedicated to large-scale post-World War II American
Abstract Expressionist painting and sculpture.

The biggest variable that cannot be accounted for is what
people actually find interesting because, though there are
generalizations (i.e., "Impressionism is popular") there are
also idiosyncratic likes and dislikes (i.e. Barbie dolls,
performance art by Chris Burden or Ulay Ulay, comic books,
movie posters, etc.).  People may travel a thousand miles to
see one item that others find unimpressive, but may be
unwilling to travel one mile for that which others swoon.

Just my two cents, based on experience and observation.

Sincerely,

Jay Heuman, Visitor & Volunteer Services Coordinator
Joslyn Art Museum, 2200 Dodge Street, Omaha, NE, 68102
342-3300 (telephone)     342-2376 (fax)       www.joslyn.org