From:
Bob Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 1994 08:36:43 -0500
Bill Higgins writes:
        Are the staff of the National Air and Space Museum such jingoistic
        fanatics that they need to be lectured by "peace and justice
        organization representatives" about the horrors of hot war and the
        unfortunate effects of the Cold War?
        [Followed by a long, inaccurate, and, frankly, ridiculous release
        from the WILPF.]

Should the NASM bend it's exhibits to reflect the biases of every so-called
"peace and justice" group?  I recently read the article about the exhibit in
the NASM's "Air and Space" magazine.  It was clear from the article that every
attempt had been made to tell the story of the Enola Gay and the bombing, using
the same methodology that would have been used for a less controversial topic.

I find it odd that anyone would brand the NASM staff as "jingoistic fanatics",
and then blandly re-post the emotional and poorly reasoned rantings of the
WILPF.

I see a tie-in to the flap over the Williamsburg slave auction.  What is it
about this country that we can't tell a story about the past without triggering
the reactions of extremists?  What, exactly, would these folks have us do?
Preface every mention of past events with apologies for the event and everything
that's happened since?  For these reactionaries, the very _mention_ of some
subjects indicates hidden messages and evil bias.  The content, the story,
seem unimportant to them. Perhaps using these programs as targets is the only
way fringe groups feel they can be heard, to which I respond: tell your own
story in your own way and let the marketplace of ideas decide on the merits
of each version.

--
Bob Rogers            Internet:  [log in to unmask]
Instrumental, Inc.    GEnie:     R.C.ROGERS