From:
Allison Sharaba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2006 10:55:46 -0400
We've been doing a very successful behind the scenes tour once a month for
over a year now. We advertise it through our membership newsletter, and any
other general information pieces that go out. It is open to the public, and
reservations are encouraged. Our maximum number is 15 on a tour, and the
tour lasts about 2 hours. Our most effective advertising tools has been
green  81/2 x 11 laminated signs hung from staircases and doorknobs saying
"What's Behind This Door" or "What's Up These Stairs". When we guide people
through our historic home on a regular tour, these signs are noticed and the
guides explain the when and where of the tour. We also have a corrugated
cardboard sign we made from a kit at Office Max (about $25) we put out the
week before our tour that says "Behind the Scenes Tours Saturday at 11am".
We have 25,000+ cars driving past our Site each day, and that sign gets
noticed!

We charge $15/person for this tour (regular admission is $8), and people are
willing to pay it! And I'd say if you have the staff to do this tour
multiple times a day, go for it!

Allison Sharaba
James A. Garfield National Historic Site
Mentor, Ohio