From:
T W Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 03:35:11 -0500
Indeed, some museum directors feel that visitor experiences through
popular exhibits are the ONLY thing, and that collections don't need to
be studied, or that what curators and scholars do with them doesn't
qualify as research.

I suppose your scenario occurs in some museums, Gene, but I see a lot of
the exact opposite happening.  I personally believe in a happy medium.

David Haberstich

  Just a suggestion, As an amateur ( any person who does not hold a
degree in a related field ) Access to collections, or even a response
from a museum about it's collections can be impossible. It cost money
to  have a curator supervise a visit to study items from a collection.
Whether amateur or scholar.
        Calculate the cost and charge it. Provide open access and a reason for
the public for the public to come to your institution.
        Care must be given to preserve the collection, but I am sure you have
underestamated the number of people who have deep intrest and would pay
to have access to the things that never see the light of day, or are not
of that much interst to the general public.

        David, if you wnat a happy medium, cross her palm with silver.
        ( sorry can't resist a straight line like that)

                        Tw